What Are You Reading This Summer?

First-year students: I know you are busy reading Three Cups of Tea as part of the 2009 Buckeye Book Community. What do you think so far? What stands out to you? How do you think this relates to your academic/professional interests?

The author, Greg Mortenson, will be on campus October 4 and 5, and will give presentations at 7:30pm in the Mershon Auditorium. Plan to attend one of his presentations. Information on how to obtain a ticket will be posted soon.

Besides Three Cups of Tea, what else are you reading this summer? Are there any good books you would recommend?

1 comment:

  1. At first, when I began reading this book, I was planning on relating it mainly to architecture. This happened for the first few chapters, particularly when the author is talking about the magnificence of K2 (how it rises from the ground, the sheer cliffs, I can't really remember as it has been a few weeks, but I know it's there).

    I lost track of this goal pretty quickly. I got swept up in the story, which I'm guessing was more of OSUs goal than having the business majors relate it to business and pre-meds relate it to anything medical, architecture to architecture and so on, even though the book does contain specific things related to all of these.

    Mortenson is a great human figure, a role model for all people and not just those in one school. It's said many times that he is simply someone you can relate to.

    I'm not about to turn this into an essay. I enjoyed Three Cups of Tea a lot and will probably read it again before school starts.

    This summer I'm lifeguarding at a small neighborhood pool that doesn't see a whole lot of use so I have a lot of spare time to read. I'm reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, a great book for any architecture student as the philosophical framework of ambition/pride/individualism and many other themes are displayed through a story about two young architects with very different views and approaches about their job.

    Other than that I'm reading a Greek mythology book, and working on Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.

    ReplyDelete